Google

Monday, April 2, 2007

PLANTING FROM SEED: Coast Redwood (Sequoia Sempervirens)

This is my first attempt at growing bonsai from seed. I ordered a good variety of seeds from a company that sells seeds for bonsai as well as for trees and other plants http://seedrack.com/bonsai.html .
The first thing I planted were Coast Redwoods (Sequoia Sempervirens). According to the sowing instructions (each seed type came with sowing instructions) a germination rate of less than 20% is normal. i got about a 25% percent germination so far. they required no special pre-germination requirements. They also seem to be my most successful plant so far and the hardiest so far too (summers coming but it still dips into the low 50', high 40's at night. Very little effort has been required for this species, just sow, water and sunlight. Pictures are of two of my four plants, with two weeks or so germination and about five weeks of growth. They get a full day of direct sunlight, but I will be moving them soon to full and partial sunlight as the leaves seem to be yellowing a bit. I used potting soil and vermiculite at about a 50/50 mix.
One note: I do live in the desert so I have to water more, but we get a lot of bright sunlight, even in winter.

No comments: